Position Description: Director of Development
About Delivering Good, Inc. (formerly K.I.D.S./Fashion Delivers):
Delivering Good, Inc. is the charity of choice for new product donations made by hundreds of companies in the fashion, home and children’s industries. Donating new merchandise provides these companies with a simple and effective way to help people in need. Founded over 30 years ago, Delivering Good is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that unites retailers, manufacturers, foundations and individuals to support people affected by poverty and tragedy nationally and abroad. Since 1985, over $1.6 billion of apparel, accessories, shoes, home furnishings, toys, books and other useful items have been distributed through our network of community partners.
Delivering Good was created from the 2014 merger of Kids in Distressed Situations and Fashion Delivers. In May 2017, the organization rebranded as “Delivering Good” to reflect focused, ongoing support for children and families facing poverty and disaster. The organization is governed by an actively engaged 34 person board of directors who are industry leaders in the apparel, juvenile products, fashion, shoe, home and related enterprises respectively. The board has recently established an enthusiastic Development Committee. To date, two successful annual events generate a large percentage of the organization’s annual income.
Job Purpose: The Director of Development, working closely with the President/CEO, will have the primary responsibility for fundraising and advancement activities to enable Delivering Good to fulfill its goal of providing over $160 million of useful products annually to people in need. The annual budget of approximately $3.5 million is raised from a variety of sources, including individuals, corporations, foundations, special events and agency partners, to support the operations of the organization, including the product procurement efforts to obtain and distribute this large volume of product donations. The launch of a planned giving program will provide the opportunity to establish an endowment in the next few years to ensure the long-term sustainability of this organization.
- Design and execute a comprehensive development program, including annual fundraising, major gifts, corporate sponsorships, employee giving, state and federal employee campaigns and foundation grants.
- Develop metrics and reports to enable staff and board to monitor development progress.
- Staff the Development Committee and work closely with the board of directors and the Development Committee to most effectively engage volunteer leadership in fundraising.
- Supervise Development Department staff, currently consisting of an Events and Development Manager and a Development Associate, as well as interns and volunteers.
- Oversee fundraising and outreach events, including the annual 400 person Women of Inspiration luncheon and the annual 700 – 1000 person fall celebration.
- Engage in, together with development staff, foundation research, proposal development, grant writing, and reporting, in order to increase foundation support.
- Achieve revenue and expense targets as well as other relevant development metrics.
- Expand the Loyalty Circle, a recognition program for repeat donors.
- Launch and expand the membership of a planned giving program and the Legacy Society, a recognition program for planned giving donors.
- Share responsibility for the program grants from community partner agencies.
- Oversee general Development Department activities, including maintaining development records, gift entry, and gift acknowledgment processes, reconciling gift records with accounting records, and providing accurate and timely reports.
- Oversee all state and federal charitable filings and registrations.
- During the next 6 months, assess the effectiveness of the fundraising database and oversee the process of selection and implementation of a new system.
- Work closely with the Marketing Department on electronic and print materials, newsletters, social media, cause marketing and corporate social responsibility initiatives.
- Passion for community service and social welfare.
- 7+ years of progressive fundraising responsibility and achievement of fundraising goals.
- Success with a broad array of development techniques, including online giving, direct mail, personal solicitations, corporate sponsorship, planned giving, donor stewardship, and grant writing.
- Event planning experience required.
- Significant experience in supervision of development operations and fundraising database conversion and management. Knowledge of eTapestry, Raiser’s Edge, SalesForce and/or other fundraising and CRM databases required.
- The desire to work collaboratively in a small team environment combined with comfort in working with senior industry executives.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
The Director of Development should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve the financial resources of the organization and to create new opportunities.
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Focus on Donor Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of donors to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and oversee the tracking of details, data, information, and activities.
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
Compensation and benefits:
Salary commensurate with experience. Attractive benefits available.
To apply, please submit your resume, together with a cover letter describing your interest in the position, to HR@donateproduct.com, with the subject line: Director of Development